Thursday, May 7, 2015

7 Great First Dance Songs

Your first kiss as a married couple is definitely the defining moment of the wedding ceremony. But for the reception, the big deal is the first dance with your freshly-minted spouse. If there’s a song that means a lot to the two of you, definitely go with that (unless it’s Nikki Minaj’s “Anaconda.” Don’t want to shock Aunt Gertie). But if you find yourself looking for that perfect first dance song, here are seven to consider:

“If I Ain’t Got You,” Alicia Keys

This song has it all--lovey-dovey lyrics, a bouncy piano line, and some serious soul when the chorus kicks in. It has more of a groove to it than most ballads, so there can be some twirling if you’re into it.

Sample lyric: “Some people want it all, but I don’t want nothing at all / if it ain’t you baby / if I ain’t got you baby.”

“Let’s Stay Together,” Al Green

There’s no denying the knock-down drag-out soul of Rev. Al Green, and the lyrics are a great match for kicking off a marriage. Just be aware that this one might fill up the dance floor; it’s got an undeniable get-up-and-sway beat.

Sample lyric: “Let’s stay together, lovin’ you whether times are good or bad, happy or sad.”

“Forever and Ever, Amen” Randy Travis

Lest you think we’re overly partial to soul ballads, here’s a lovely little two-steppin’ ditty from the peak of 90’s country. It’s a little bit corny, but not overly so, and there’s some genuine emotion in there.

Sample lyric: “They say time takes its toll on a body / makes a young girl’s brown hair turn gray / but I don’t care, I ain’t in love with your hair / if it all fell out, I’d love you anyway.”

“The Luckiest,” Ben Folds

If you want to make sure there’s not a dry eye in the house for your first dance, this quirky piano-driven ballad is definitely a tear-jerker. Nobody does plaintive like Ben Folds, and this one’s a doozy.

Sample lyric: “Where was I before the day I first saw your lovely face / Now I see it every day / And I know that I am the luckiest.”

“You Might Think,” the Cars

If you’d rather hop and bop instead of sway for your first dance, this bubbly 80’s new wave track is a great pick. It’s got sugary-sweet synthesizers, slightly nerdy lyrics, and a cool little breakdown in the middle.

Sample lyrics: “You might think it’s foolish, or maybe it’s untrue / you might think I’m crazy, but all I want is you.”

“Fly Me to the Moon,” Tony Bennett

Most couples who go for a crooner to start the reception go with Frank Sinatra and “The Way You Look Tonight.” But we’ve always been partial to this one--it simply soars, and by the last chorus your guests will be ready to get up and join you.

Lyrics: “Fill my heart with song and let me sing forever more / you are all I long for, all I worship and adore.”

“The Things We Said Today,” the Beatles

This song has a lovely dark, introspective tone. It makes for a nice pause to catch your breath before diving into your crazy reception dance party. And the lyrics couldn’t be more appropriate for a wedding.

“Someday, when we’re dreaming / deep in love, not a lot to say/ then we will remember the things we said today.”

Whether you want your first dance to be a romantic slow dance, sexy slow jam, or party-starting up-tempo number, one of these seven songs is sure to kick off your marriage right.

No comments:

Post a Comment